Thursday, July 26, 2007

ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY

Hey All,
Yup! It was one year ago today that I heard those "bad" words....."It's Cancer". Sometime before that diagnosis, Mary Anne and I were talking and she asked me if I only had a few months to live would I change how I was living. I answered "No". I was so wrong. I have grown closer to God, closer to Mary Anne, closer to the children, changed my eating habits, lost sixty pounds and done some things that I have wanted to do for years.
Here is a brief summary of what has happened the last year:
  • July 26th: Diagnosed with Cholangiocarcinoma
  • August: Biopsies of liver and lung - Started eating Vegan, no more Coke or sugar! Went to Joliet Oncology and was referred to Chicago Northwestern. Diagnosis of Stage four Intrahepatic Bile duct Cancer
  • September: Went to Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN for second opinion. Same diagnosis and treatment options (chemo...ad infinitum) Decided not to do Chemo......easy decision, I felt good, why mess that up!
  • October: Traveled to Utah and North Carolina
  • January: Went to Bonaire
  • March: Started feeling some nausea and pain. Came home early to go to Mesa, AZ for alternative treatment. Pet CT shows moderate growth of tumors.
  • April: Feeling better. No nausea and the pain is gone.
  • May: Continue treatments. Came home for two weeks to rest up. Pet CT shows an active tumor in liver.
  • June: Radio Frequency Ablation to destroy tumor in liver. Three weeks later a Pet CT shows tumor is gone and the five tumors in my lungs have shrunk 30% each. We drive back to Plainfield from AZ.
GREAT TO BE HOME AND FEELING G R E A T !
FROM WHERE I SIT, IT CERTAINLY LOOKS LIKE AN ANSWER TO ALL THE PRAYERS FROM ALL OF YOU!!!
THANKS SOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!
In August I will take Insulin Potentiation Therapy every other week here near home and hopefully that will allow me to maintain the status quo!
Joe

No comments: