Monday, January 12, 2009



I have been reading e-mails and having phone calls with my Mom and sister Cassie from Bonaire over the past week and it sounds like a great trip. These moments captured here show when friends, Augusto, Wendy and T.C. took Cassie, Kirk and Mom out on a boat to spread Dad's ashes in front of my parents winter home at Buddy Dive in Bonaire. They also spread some at a few of my Dad's favorite dive sites. It doesn't get much better for a final resting place I guess. Dad would have preferred a cloudless blue sky but I am sure the temperature was nice. Reality is I bet he would not have wanted them fussing about him but I know he appreciates the gesture. He was very comfortable talking about these types of things before and after he knew he had cancer. They all took a turn spreading the ashes and then they saved some for a little ceremony back in Plainfield. I guess they are running into some people who had not heard, but for the most part people have kept up through the blog. When I got the e-mail from Mom with these pictures in it, I teared up for the first time in a couple weeks. It felt good. Makes it real that I miss Dad. I also missed him on New Years Eve when I called and woke my mother at 10:30 p.m. central time to wish them Happy New Year and realized I could not ask to talk to Dad. I wished him separately.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's hard to think of a more beautiful resting place than the sea off Bonaire.

Eleanor and Bill