Tuesday, December 09, 2008

A 5K for the ages

All is quiet from Plainfield as I spoke to my Mom today. But I have a story and favorite picture to share.
In August of 2001, some of the family had discovered running. You could say we were hooked. Well that was enough, those of us who were hooked dragged the rest of the group into a 5 K together as a family. In this photo, the runners are on the left and the dragees are on the right. Far right you will see my dad who reminded me everytime since that one 5 K that doing the race, messed up his knee. Well I highly doubted it, but it was not as if he was about to launch a running career. He did continue to exercise as best he could right up until the cancer was really sapping all of his energy. And I said on the phone, "just go out and do a little walk". He said, "Nothing is impossible for the one that does not have to do it". This was the last time I pushed dad to exercise as he had really done what he could. I am still glad we dragged the whole family into the 5K. My mother did so well in her age group (as always) that she won a free poster size enlargement. This was the photo she chose to posterize and it now hangs in the basement of my parents house and I think I will have to fight my siblings for it because that was a 5K for the ages!

5 comments:

Kash said...

Great memory Michael. It was a fun day even if Kevin beat me with no training at all!!! I too remember that Dad always accounted his knee problem to that race. Great picture too!
Thanks,
Karen

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you kids remember but Dad hung back to run with Cassie who didn't want to run fast and he didn't want to leave her alone bringing up the rear. Always considerate of the other person. And it was a good excuse not to try to hard and get beat by his kids. I love the picture and didn't know we had a small one. Mom Coburn (Mary Anne)

Anonymous said...

Super picture & what a wonderful memory for your family! Those are the things that will always bring a smile! Thanks for sharing

Alane & Steve said...

You are truly a wonderful family. I have told Michael and Heidi that I have never seen a family do so much living in a time when most would duck their heads and hide.

Cassie said...

Dragees??? Hey I had done 4 or 5 of these 5Ks by then!! Mom and I tried the first one together and after that she blew me away. Dad and I did most of this race together, but he always told ME it was because he didn't want to run anymore, his knee was hurting. Hmmm..
I do want a copy of this picture!