Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Its the plumber...




From Ohio, I understand that it is still about the same for how Dad is doing. Just a quick note on a random act of kindness bestowed on our family yesterday. Kevin and I replaced the dishwasher last week and did it just the way my dad would be so proud of. We took the time to break out more tile from the floor to ensure all was level. We even wore safety glasses (his) while doing this dangerous job. We messed up the threads on one of the copper elbows which required a trip to Ace Hardware (dad's favorite store). We then got it in and running perfectly. Perfectly is a relative term. The dishwasher did run fine. Underneath the sink where we had to turn the brass shut-off valve off for the water for the first time in say 8 years developed a leak which required a tray to collect the water. Every few days you take a towel and mop up the water. Close enough right? So we called in the expert Little Walt's Plumbing . Our plumber arrived as promised and made two tightenings and fixed the problem. When Mom went to pay him HE REFUSED PAYMENT. He said I could not charge you for that. Well, if that is not a random act of kindness, I don't know what is. So I just thought that it deserved some recognition. My dad would probably say he paid for that service call 10 times over through the years of plumbing projects gone wrong, but the truth is, I think we just got a "free lunch".

4 comments:

Mike Murphy said...

Its the thought that counts, Projects for Bompa, that went arry, were seldom critizied, the effort and the motive were the reward. My prayers are with you all.
Mike Murphy

Michael said...

You mean like breaking off a bolt on his boat engine during an oil change. I think you had to tap that one out. Thanks for the note, I got a chuckle.

Alane & Steve said...

Michael - read it all - LOVE the Wonderful Life - It made me smile at what life Joe has had.
Alane

Michael said...

Funny thing about blogs, once you start reading, you often find yourself reading the whole thing. Thanks for the note.