Sunday, December 21, 2008

Shoutin Time in Heaven


It is Michael now back in Ohio after two very full days in Plainfield. We had a beautiful ceremony celebrating my Dad's life and the impact he had on others. Thanks to all who reached out to us to let us know how he impacted your life. When you spend 41 years around someone you tend to take their gifts for granted. You know all their jokes etc. All of you helped bring those gifts back to life. Even though you were telling us things we already knew, it is so much sweeter coming from you. Many of you also shared directly to me how much the blog meant as well. It can be a risk to put it all out there but I know that the reward is in the sharing of feelings we all have.


The standing room only service had the right amount of respect, humor and celebration that dad would have wanted. My brother Kevin really gave us a gift when in addition to his beautiful guitar and singing on "All the Way My Saviour Leads Me" he threw in some measures from Dad's most requested "Freight Train" played fingerstyle on Kevin's guitar. One other moment from the service was when "Shoutin Time in Heaven" was played by the Hoppers (recording obviously). This was a long standing request from my dad that he had made before he was given his cancer diagnosis. I could hear the room collectively start to sob on this particular number.


Now this blog which all of us have come to know as a place to commune electronically, will grow quieter...but not silent. There is more to tell.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael,

I worked with your dad at Insituform and continue to work with Kevin. Thanks for sharing everything. I really think this blog should continue and even be made into a book. There is so much inspiration here not just for those with a disease, but for everyone who needs to be lifted up and see how God can work in your life it you let him. Thanks again and may God continue to bless your wonderful family.

Jana Lause

John Wright said...

I never met your dad, but the Soundtracks must have done a show in LaCrosse, WI where I grew up. We borrowed an album from a friend who was a barbershopper. It was your dad's and we got hooked on it. I've heard and sung in a lot of quartets since then, but still don't think I've ever heard a group who could "ring it" quite like your dad's. The studio engineer probably wasn't ready for the spl on the soaring tag of "Soon One Morning Death Comes a Creepin' in the room". ...so many wonderful moments on that record. I'd pay real money to run across a copy on ebay or see it was re-mastered. I Googled it last week again and was so touched to find your blog. It's obvious what you all must have felt when you posted "I'm Tying the Leaves". Hearing of the faith you all share was the most inspiring realization. Now I'm looking forward to meeting Joe myself someday, because of the awesome grace of our mutual Friend.