Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Christmas lights


We put up more Christmas lights today and I even figured out how to anchor down the wooden reindeer out front just like dad used to do it. He gave some positive encouragement from his bed positioned in the front window. I am cleaning out his woodworking shop of about 75 lbs of sawdust. I am not kidding. We are going to keep the shop intact, it is quite the set up and I think we will find uses for it. Dad has been awake enough today for us to sit with him and listen to Barbershop recordings. Specifically we listened to the SoundTracks which he sang lead for in the 1970's. They sounded amazing and he sang along. He told us...listen to this chord, modulation etc. Those are the soundtracks of our life. We listened to a lot of Barbershop. It never sounded so sweet as this morning. Then the last song I played for him was from Don Bagley's quartet, "The Chiefs of Staff". The song is Memory from the musical Cats. Dads face just lit up with emotion when it came on. We both loved it. We are now watching the Ball State football game. He is operating the remote so he must be feeling a bit up. I think he likes the comfort of the television which is something he enjoyed when he was well. Now he is asleep again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had a good day and were able to watch football. You and MaryAnn will be in my thoughts on Thanksgiving Day.

Good Night - Michelle Bailey

Anonymous said...

In the days ahead, may you & your family find comfort in the great memories that you have & continue to make. My thoughts & prayers with you all. God Bless - Pat S

Anonymous said...

Joe and Mary Anne,
I note the "Chiefs of Staff" in your blog and I believe a guy who used to work for me sang lead in that group and maybe still does. His name is Timothy McShain.

Hope this beautiful sunshine brightens your day.

Glenn

Anonymous said...

Dear Everyone,
My name is Kerry Randall and I have been following Joe's Blog for the entire time it has been up. I sit down with my coffee every morning and check on you! I am a friend of Valerie McCrea. I was so surprised to see our sweet Val mentioned in the blog "It's Finally Saturday". It warmed my heart so much and brought tears to my eyes. We spent the last precious days with Val the way you are now. Our children are in the same grad and we are honored and blessed to see them everyday. Anyway, I just want you to know that we have been praying for you and your family unceasingly. You and your family have been such an inspiration to all of us and have glorified our Lord in every way possible! I wish I could reach out and hug each of you! Know that you will remain in our prayers...and that God is good...all the time! I pray many blessing upon each of you...I pray that the peace that only Jesus can provide surrounds you constantly! You are an amazing family and I feel blessed to read this blog...thank you for sharing your story...you have no idea how you have touched my life, even though we have never met!

In Him,
Kerry Randall

Anonymous said...

I've never been good with words but wanted to let you know your dad is in our prayers. I've read some of the blogs posted and the love in your family is wonderful and touching. For your father to be able to give the bride away was so amazing.
God bless you all.
JoJo