Thursday, November 20, 2008

Dad loves a sunset



Thanks to my mom for letting me be a guest blogger here again. Rather than just give updates, I like to also share some of my thoughts. I don't know anyone who appreciates scenery and photos without people in them as much as my dad, Joe. In selecting this sunset shot over Klein Bonaire he took, I had many to chose from. For more than a decade this is the winter view my parents have enjoyed together in Bonaire to get through those tough, long and dark Chicago winters. I really am thankful for the ability to appreciate nature, vistas and natural beauty that my father has given to me. I imagine that this will be just one of the many reminders that will keep him close to me after he has left this world. As to his current state, he is a joy to be in the room with. I can't get enough of him. So much so that we have started to get on his nerves as we all just hang around him and it is tough to sleep when everyone wants to chat. Some moments he doesn't seem there and then others, he seems like he could go down in the basement and work on a woodworking project with me which was another of his passions. Many would wonder if it is tough to see your dad like this in the sunset of his life? I guess the answer is on the one hand yes, on the other... as long as he is not in pain, I will take as much of him as I can get. Some of you may not know this, but my dad lost his dad to cancer when he was 22. I am so thankful for the incredible time I have had for an adult relationship with my dad, that he never had with his. When I see a pretty sunset, smell pine needles or see deer wandering in a field my mind will always go to thoughts of my dad, pointing these things out.

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

Dear Michael,
Thankyou for sharing your memories and thoughts. Your folks did a wonderful job in raising all of you and giving you the values and love to be with them now. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.