Saturday, November 22, 2008

It's Saturday...Finally.

Last Tuesday, my dad groaned when he was told it was Tuesday. My mother asked him if he was getting impatient with God? No he said. She asked what day he wished it was? He said "Saturday!". Why?... FOOTBALL. It has been a pretty quiet day today here in Plainfield. I took a break from a lot of activity to just sit and watch the Notre Dame game with my dad. He has been much quieter today with fewer alert and connected moments. He did seem to perk up when I brought him a cold Starbuck's Mocha Frappaccino (one of his favorites). I brought a glass in with me along with the bottle so we could share it. His eyes lit up so much when I showed him the bottle that it was not long before I heard the empty gurgling sound of the straw in the bottom of the bottle before I had managed to pour my half. He watched portions of the game when he was awake and the same goes for me. I thought the Irish were going to put up a victory no problem for him as they were leading 23-10 at one point. Unfortunately, they lost by a point when they missed their shot for a winning 53 yard field goal with seconds remaining. When the ball was placed on the 35 yd line for the field goal attempt, I wondered outloud... how long is this kick. Dad quickly said 53 yards. Dad did not seem too concerned about it and we did enjoy the game. He is a HUGE Notre Dame fan if you did not know it. He did not attend Notre Dame but probably would have loved to as he had hopes of being the drum major for the Band of the Fighting Irish as he was for his high school band at Catholic Central in Detroit. Thanks for all the comments and those who have signed as as followers of this blog. It is neat to see who is with us during this time. I know how I felt when I followed Valerie McCrea's battle with Cholangio Carcinoma through a blog which ended in April of 2007. It was very moving and I felt very connected with their story. The difference with Valerie is that she was the mother of 3 young boys all under age 10. That was when I first gained perspective on how different this disease could have been for Dad and our family. What if he had been diagnosed when he was 37? I still hate to see the life taken out of him, but I remain forever thankful that I have had him for this long. He is very peaceful at this time.

1 comment:

Carol said...

I have been following your Dad's blog since it began. I lost my Mom in August of 2007 to cholangiocarcinoma. It is so wonderful to see how close your family is and how beautifully Joe has dealt with the diagnoses of cancer. You are in my thoughts every day.

Carol Fox
Hampton, NY