Saturday, November 22, 2008

One Solitary Life

Karen here... tonight we were just sitting around and I decided to go on the blog and listen to "O Holy Night" with my dad and brother, Kevin singing. My dad has always loved that song. Of course, I ended up in a puddle. Just seeing him looking so well and singing so beautifully made me realize how much I already miss him. While he is still having times where he is awake and engaged, he is much subdued and has trouble getting his words together at times. Anyway... all this got me thinking about Christmas and how much Dad loves this time of year. For a long time, every Christmas, Dad would read "One Solitary Life". I'd like to share it with you. For those of you who know Dad personally, you can imagine him reading this with great emotion and dramatic affect:

He was born in a stable in an obscure village.
From there He traveled, less than 200 miles.
He never won an election,
He never went to college,
He never owned a home,
He never had a lot of money.
He became a nomadic preacher,
Popular opinion turned against Him,
He was betrayed by a close friend,
And His other friends ran away.
He was unjustly condemned to death,
Crucified on a cross among common thieves,
On a hill overlooking the town dump,
And when dead, laid in a borrowed grave.
Nineteen centuries have come and gone,
Empires have risen and fallen,
Mighty armies have marched,
And powerful rulers have reigned.
Yet no one has affected men as much as He,
He is the central figure of the human race,
He is the Messiah, the Son of God,
Jesus Christ.

My dad has never been a man shy to show emotion. This poem often made him cry. He loves the Lord and the way this poem expressed it always touched him. Thanks for letting me share it with you.

Karen

5 comments:

fia said...

dear Karen and family,
Indeed this poem says everything we believe in, and I hope your parents will find the peace in it and in their great believe in God.
It is good to hear that Joe has no pain and stil can enjoy being with his family. Please give Joe and Mary Ann a big hug from their Bonairian neighbour.
God blesses you all.
Fia

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen, Although I don't know you personally, my husband Dave and your Dad were such good golfing buddies. Dave died suddenly on Aug. 16, 2007 after having one of his best golf days ever. You and your family are so very fortunate to have this time to say goodbye. With my Dave, I was away, our daughter had just gotten off a plane at O'Hare, our son, a Policeman was notified by the sheriff and our other son,David Jr. was at a job over in Indiana. To come home and find Dave dead in his golf cart is a shock I am still trying to get over. As he would have said, "What a way to go". Love changes in many good ways as we become stronger and more at home with our God. We had 46 great yrs. together, being married right out of high school. For some reason which I now know, the morning I was leaving I said to Dave, "just give me one more kiss" and we both said "I love you" as usual.Little did we all know what lay ahead of us. I envy in a very good way that you all have this time. Dave and I both loved your Dad. What a gentleman he is. One more thing the two guys had in common is they both have little Connors!!God bless your mom and all of you as you go through this most difficult time.Your Dad has a very special place waiting for him. With love, Marge Kenealy

Ben Pahlow said...

Hi Karen,
My name is Ben Pahlow. Your father is very dear to me. I don't believe I have met you. I remember a time with Joe at one of our usual meetings at Applebees, where he broke down in tears when talking about you...he said "Ben, I want Karen to find a husband so bad! She is so beautiful and loves the Lord so much, she would be such a wonderful wife." He sat there and wept. He said "Ben, I wonder if I will be able to walk her down the aisle?" Just thought you might want to know this little story. One of my favorite memories with Joe, my daughter Amber was being home schooled for a while, and Joe had her come to his house and work on building a book case from the ground up. They did it all. Even staining it. It was so precious. Joe is wonderful. If you get a chance, please tell him Goodbye for me. Tell him I love him with all my heart. -Ben

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great updates on the blog. I love you all and am praying, crying, praying some more on an off. I'm with you in spirit. Much love and hugs,
Kelli

Melisochka said...

Hi Karen,

I've been checking your dad's blog every day. Please tell your family that I'm praying for you all. If you get the chance can you tell your dad how much he impacted me? I believe I've only met him once, maybe twice, but I can't be certain.

What impacted me the most about this man, that I only knew briefly and mostly through you was his obvious love and interest in your life. I remember when we were roommates in Russia, how you would share about your family, conversations you had with your father and such and I was totally shocked that he would be so interested in the lives of his children. Frankly I was baffled by it for it just wasn't my experience. For a time I came to envy your relationship you had with your dad (glad you had it, but wishing I had the same thing.)

Thankfully, the Lord has healed my relationship with my dad and we are growing "into" to one another more deeply and I know without a doubt my dad loves me.

But Joe, your dear father, was the first glimpse that I ever had that it could be true...that a dad could love, and actually enjoy, his kids so much, that he wanted to be involved in their lives and he cared for them and made himself available to them.

Anyway, your dad gave me a gift, a hope and dream by the way he loved you. Thanks for "sharing" him with me all those years ago.

I love him and your mom too. Blessings to you all as you journey down this path together, as a family.

Love and prayers,

Melissa (Parton) Bear