Thursday, November 27, 2008

A Father's Blessing on Thanksgiving

Joe's daughter, Karen writing here. A few days ago I went in to say goodnight to Dad and when I did he started to cry. I asked him what he was feeling and he said he was sad. I said about the wedding? He said yes. A few days later, I asked him if we could do the beginning part of the ceremony, the part where he gives me away. I told him that was his role and I wanted to know if he would do that. I've been wondering if he needs that to be able to let go.

So, this morning, my parent's pastor, Earl, came over. He gave a short intro saying that it is tradition to have the father give his daughter away. So not knowing if Dad would make it to the wedding we wanted to have Dad give me away this morning. Our whole family was gathered in the bedroom (all 18 of us). Earl asked Dad the traditional question "Who gives this woman to be married to this man?" and Dad answered "her mother and I do" with clarity, strength and emotion in his voice.

Then Earl prayed a blessing. It was a very special time together that we will all remember. I am so glad to have shared that with my dad. I have complete peace about our wedding. I have shared with him that picturing him up in heaven with the Father gives me great joy. My dad has always been so affirming of me. I know that on that day he will look down from heaven and smile with pride and he and the Father will share delight. My dad's heart for me has always been a picture of my heavenly Father's love for me. So while I would have loved for him to be at our wedding, I find great comfort thinking about him free from cancer, with no discomfort, totally healed and whole.

We have so much to be thankful for today. I am grateful for a father whose love I've never questioned. He has supported me my whole life. I am grateful for the love and support of my family and for the incredible community of people who are standing with us praying for us. Have a blessed Thanksgiving!!

Karen

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome post. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea. I am so glad you were able to have this moment and memory. I feel the same way about my husband. Whenever I feel sad, I remember where he is and it never fails to put a smile on my face. God Bless your precious family. Michelle

Anonymous said...

Karen,

Thanks for the post. I worked with your dad at Insituform (and still work with Kevin). I became close to your dad when I was working on a project with him where he was in the St. Louis office a lot. I was a single mom at that time and we would talk a lot about how much I wanted to remarry and have more children. We would talk about God and his plans for our lives and he would pray for me. I have since remarried and have a wonderful step-daughter. Your dad also spoke of you and how much you wanted to be married and have children as well. About a year ago we spoke and he said that was his one concern; for you to be happy and find the man God had for you. I was so happy when I heard you were getting married. I knew how important it was to him and how happy he must be. What a great day for you to be given away! I pray for all of you every day. I also pray that your wedding is as wonderfull as I know it will be! God bless you!

Jana Lause

celebrate life said...

Father has been so gracious to write these beautiful lines into your story. I marvel at the love messages He sends to you and your family. Thank you for sharing them with us. You have a special family and these are indeed special moments etched in your heart. Love covers....

bertha :)